Understanding why putting children first is best for the child, the parents and your practice.
A 6 week training programme delivered by Clinical Psychologist Dr Angharad Rudkin for professionals working with separating parents. This programme has specially prepared for family law solicitors/trainees, Paralegals, Mediators, Barristers, Chartered Legal Executives, Counsellors, Family Support Workers, Magistrates and others.
“Henry is 10. He has experienced on-going parental tension and major arguments at home for the last 3 years. In between the arguments, his mum and dad sometimes got on but most of the time they lived quite separately, with few family outings…”
Read Henry’s Story
“We hear from parents that professionals and courts don’t seem to fully understand what children are experiencing. In our view, it's important that children do come first and this training package has been pulled together to address these concerns”
Dates & Themes
June 10th, 1-2pm
1. How do children and teens think?
What happens in a child's brain and body and how does this impact on their understanding of divorce.
July 1st, 1-2pm
4. Co-parenting when separated.
Handovers, different homes, planning for holidays, birthdays etc.
June 17th, 1-2pm
2. What does Attachment actually mean?
A summary of attachment theory and what it means for children and parents.
July 8th, 1-2pm
5. The impact of conflict and alienating behaviour on children.
How children experience conflict between their parents. What it feels like to not see one parent.
June 24th, 1-2pm
3. Communication with children
How can parents talk and listen to their children. What happens to children’s voices as the messages get passed to parents and then onto solicitors then judges.
July 15th, 1-2pm
6. Understanding your child.
What signs to look out for that indicate how a child is doing. A working knowledge of mental health difficulties in children and development disorders (ADHD, Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC)).
The aim of the course is to give you a deeper understanding of how separation and divorce can impact on children’s lives. At the end of the course you will:
- Be better equipped to help your clients to “put the child’s needs first”.
- Benefit from improved relationships with your clients
- Improve your confidence in handling difficult issues so you can reduce your stress levels and improve your well being
- Handle children cases more effectively
- Enhanced your expertise and the reputation of your practice
This course is not just a series of webinars, it is a unique fresh approach to legal training that includes:
– A whole days’ worth of expert training spread over 6 sessions all accessible from the comfort of your workplace – wherever that may be.
– Access to all live sessions and / or recordings so you can catch up if you miss one of the live sessions or wish to hear them again.
– A dedicated private forum where you can share thoughts and resources with your fellow delegates and also seek further insights from the course leader Dr Angharad Rudkin
– A series of top tips after each session and suggested further reading.
– A copy of the book 101 questions answered about separating children in both print and digital editions
– Certificate of attendance.
Dr Angharad Rudkin MA(Oxon), AFBPsS is a Clinical Psychologist with over 20 year’s experience of working with children and their families.
As well as being Consultant Editor on 101 Questions, Angharad has co-written parenting books (What’s My Child Thinking? and What’s My Teenager Thinking with Tanith Carey) and books for children (Find your Girl Squad with Ruth Fitzgerald and a guide for children on how to cope with divorce, due to be published next year).
Angharad is the relationship expert for the Metro, and regularly appears on radio and TV to discuss child mental health and parenting.
She has consulted for Government bodies as well as private organisations around child well-being. Having recently left the University of Southampton where she was a lecturer for 12 years, Angharad is now focusing her research on Father’s and divorce.
“Giving professionals the chance to focus on and educate themselves on how discord affects children will help practitioners give better advice…”
Partner, National Head of Family Law, Simpson Millar
Book your space
This course is being administered by Bath Publishing
We are a not-for-profit Social Enterprise. Community Interest Company 5209173. We have the Asset Lock to ensure all donations are used solely for the benefit of our work.