Welcome to our Health Pages

The starting point for all parents who find themselves looking after children on their own is getting yourselves registered with your local GP and Dentist.

Many surgerys these days have one or two doctors who specialise in "family and children". Ask other parents who they go to, or have a word with the Practise Manager at your local surgery to find the best GP for you and your family. Finding a sympathetic Doctor will take a lot of pressure off you - and don't be afraid to talk to them if you are unsure about any aspect of your health or your children's health.

The following link allows you to type in your postcode to find your nearest GP, Dentist, or Hospital.

Find a GP in your area

For out of hours advice call 0845 46 47

NHS Direct offers a 24 hour advice service. When you use this service try and impart as much factual information about the condition as you can. The Doctor or Nurse giving advice over the telephone will not know you or your children - so they will need as much information as possible to give good quality advice. Do not be afraid of volunteering information as well as responding to the questions they ask.

In all emergencies 999 has to be called.

We recommend all single parents have some kind of plan in place for times of emergency. How you will get to A&E in the middle of the night? or  Who will look after your children should you end up in hospital without notice? are the sort of questions to ask.

Providing your children with essential contact details and telephone numbers is also very good advice for all single parents.

The OnlyMums Panel of Experts is also here to help you.  You can ask them a question at any time, its anonymous and free. The following team have a wealth of expertise and experience.

Drug and Alchohol Expert

Relationship Expert

Bereavement Expert

We also have a Directory of Counsellors which will help you find a professional who is qualified and experienced in your area.

You can also visit our Local Support pages which may have useful support groups in your area.

Home Financial Advice Debt Advice Legal
Panel of Experts Education Housing Parenting
Relationship Work Blogs Contact us

A-Z of Health Useful Addresses